Website The Save Mart Companies
The Save Mart Companies is the largest family-owned grocer in California operating over 200 stores across California and Nevada.
California’s Central Valley covers approximately 18,000 square miles, bounded by the Pacific Coast Ranges to the west and the Sierra Nevada to the east. One of the most celebrated agricultural regions in the world, this is California’s single most productive area, providing more than half of the fruits, vegetables, and nuts grown in the United States.
In the heart of this rich and fertile region lies the city of Modesto, where, in 1952, Nick Tocco and Mike Piccinini opened the first Save Mart grocery store. Enjoying deeply rooted relationships with the area’s farmers, ranchers, and producers, Tocco and Piccinini saw the value in offering the bountiful fresh and local products available at farm stands throughout the valley in a convenient, modern grocery store. And equally important to Nick and Mike, at prices that families could afford. Celebrating local growers and providers long before “farm to fork” became an international trend, Save Mart was born.
Mike’s son, Bob Piccinini, took over leadership of the company in the early 1980s. By then the chain had grown to include multiple locations in the Modesto area plus surrounding communities. When a wave of store closings swept the region, Save Mart bucked the trend with additional acquisitions and the opening of its first FoodMaxx stores. Customers continued to flock to the stores, attracted by the winning formula of fresh, local, quality and value.
In 2007, Bob Piccinini acquired a 128-store chain in Northern California and rebranded the stores as Lucky supermarkets, “rescuing” the once prominent Lucky name and putting Piccinini into the nine-county San Francisco Bay Area market.
Multi-Purpose Clerk – Cashier – 4500 Lonetree Way, Antioch, CA 94509
The Multi-Purpose Clerk may be assigned to one of several departments within the store – to include Center Store, Produce, Meat/Seafood, Bakery/Deli, or Janitorial. The Multi-Purpose Clerk is responsible for promoting sales within assigned department, answering our customers’ questions, responding to customer requests for products, and accurately placing special orders. The Multi-Purpose Clerk practices safe food handling procedures, maintaining clean work area, orderly and free from safety hazards. The Clerk receives, inspects, and logs products for accuracy of shipment and quality as well as stocks, rotates, and merchandises product to maintain freshness and department appeal.
Some of our awesome benefits include:
- Benefits package options which include Health, Dental, Vision, Life, 401K
- Flexible schedule options
- Foodie Friday events (great eats and games!) throughout the year
- Employee Connection (earn fun and valuable prizes!)
- Life Long Learning – Educational opportunities
- Employee Association (discounted and free tuition options, contests, and support services).
The Save Mart Companies is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we welcome resumes from individuals who will contribute to our diverse workforce.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
The Multi-Purpose Clerk may be assigned to any of the following assignments/departments:
- Center Store/Front End – Operate the checkstand according to company policy and procedures, memorize PLU codes and keep up to date with new products; order, receive, unload, stock and rotate product onto shelves and cases in all areas of center store operations; merchandise product and perform Point-Of-Sale (POS) and inventory activities
- Produce – Receive, inspect, and log products for accuracy of shipment and quality; trim, wash, and wrap produce according to company policy; stock, rotate, and merchandise product to maintain freshness and department appeal; maintain floral area both inside and outside of store; keep all areas and equipment of the department clean
- Meat/Seafood – Receive, inspect, and log products for accuracy of shipment and quality; weigh, wrap/package and label products for display; stock, rotate and merchandise product to maintain freshness and department appeal; provide customer service at the seafood counter; take special orders for items such as custom cuts of meat or holiday items; may operate equipment such as slicers and wrappers; keep all areas and equipment of the department clean
- Bakery/Deli – Receive, inspect, and log products for accuracy of shipment and quality; prepare, weigh, package, and label products for display; stock, rotate, and merchandise baked goods and deli products to maintain freshness and department appeal; take special orders for items such as cakes and party trays; may operate equipment such as ovens, proofers, slicers, and mixers; keep all areas and equipment of the department clean
- Janitorial – Maintain cleanliness and sanitation throughout the store; sweep and mop sales floor, front end, back rooms, and refrigerated areas; clean restrooms, break room, office areas, shelving and cases, front end equipment, shopping carts, and vending machines; clean front of store and parking lot, and empty trash; may operate janitorial equipment such as scrubbers and buffers
- Pharmacy – Operate the pharmacy register according to company policy and procedures and keep up to date with new products; take prescriptions from customers for the pharmacist to process and handle completed orders for customers at the register; maintain cleanliness and sanitation throughout the department; must maintain confidentiality at all times
Duties Included in all departments:
- Sweep and mop sales floor, front end, back rooms, and refrigerated areas
- May operate forklift if authorized and certified
- May operate baler if authorized
- Perform other duties as assigned
Requirements (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Excellent customer service and communication (verbal and written) skills
- Ability to work with a sense of urgency and self-motivation
- Capability to be proactive, initiative, enthusiastic, and flexible on the job
Education: High School Diploma (or G.E.D.) or additional job experience
Experience: Six months of related experience
Other: Must be available to work a variety of required retail hours; must be at least 18 years of age
Physical: Requires standing and other physical movements on a frequent basis; requires lifting up to 40 lbs. without assistance
- Customer Connection
- Quality/Quantity of Work
- Personal/Interpersonal Skills
To apply for this job please visit savemart.csod.com.